Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Strawberry Poke Cake



Spring is here and some changes are coming to my family.  After hours and hours of house hunting {and hours and hours of DVDs for the children in the mini van traveling from house to house} we are super excited to have a 'forever house' to move into next month!


We were so fortunate to have sold our house last fall and we were very happy with the space in the house we are renting while house hunting, but I think the whole family is ready to say Adios! to the dumpsters banging in the wee hours of the morning at the drug store and the school next door.  I personally have watched one too many travelers enjoy their lunches from the "Golden M" while parked in the front yard to last a lifetime.  The foot traffic is insane out the dining room window and we joke that we could high-five them, they feel so close to the house.  Yes, we are SO ready to move.


Wanna see my china hutch and how I've decorated it for Easter?








Nice.  I know.  {Really, just one of several D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R. areas}  We chose not to unpack anything we wouldn't need to live.  {p.s.  No, we don't have .22 ammo in a box...there are really mini lamp shades in that guy, nor do we purchase tequila by the case, just in case you were curious.  That's kind of funny now that I look at the boxes...meat, ammo, liquor and diapers!}


Anyhoot, the past week I got on a laundering kick and washed really anything I could get my hands on while spring cleaning, got our house as ready as it could be for guests (see disaster above), and prepared food for a birthday party for a couple people in our family.  Basically, I pretty much avoided the computer and this blog.  As much as I enjoy cooking and taking photos and sharing them at Stella B's, sometimes it just doesn't happen.  This week was one of those sometimes.  


Our menu included some delicious dishes, including this killer Rosemary Focaccia Bread, Cheesecake, Lentil Soup, Sunday Best Dinner Rolls, Chicken Enchiladas, Pot Roast and grilled burgers.  Many dishes were favorites I have already shared and some were new recipes that never got photographed.  


Strawberry Poke Cake is a dessert we enjoy in the spring and summer seasons and it was one of the desserts I made for the birthday party last weekend.  It's almost too simple to share, but everyone enjoys this cake.  


Strawberry Poke Cake


1 box white cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
(water per cake mix instructions)
3 ounce box strawberry jello 
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup ice water
8 ounces whipped topping
1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced




Bake cake according to package directions.  Cool completely.  Stir strawberry jello in 1 cup boiling water until dissolved.  Add 1/2 cup icy cold water.  


Using a plastic spoon, poke spoon handle into cake making holes about 1/2 an inch apart.  Slowly pour or spoon warm liquid jello over cake and holes, covering cake evenly.  It always looks like too much liquid, but it will be perfect.  Cover and chill cake in refrigerator for several hours before serving.


To serve, top cake with whipped topping and fresh berries.  Store in refrigerator.


*notes ~ Use any flavor jello and complimentary fruit for this simple dessert. I find our metal flatware tears up the cake for poking, skewers are too skinny for poking and I don't own round handled wooden spoons.  A plastic spoon seems to create the perfect size hole for the jello to nestle.  You may need to rinse and dry your spoon a time or two if it's catching too many cake crumbs while you poke.


Enjoy!!




Sharing with:  GooseberryPatchBlog, CrazyForCrust,  CookingWithKaryn, MopItUpMondays, JamHands, AdventuresOfADIYMom,  MommyByDayCrafterByNight, PassionatelyArtistic, NaptimeCreations, TuesdayConfessional, MakingTheWorldCuter, RaeGunRamblings, TrendyTreehouse, LaughLove&Craft, PolkaDotsOnParade, Sugar&DotsLadyBugBlessingsSweetologySomethingSwankyTuesdayTimeOut,  DaysOfChalk&ChocolateSimplySweetHomeDwellOnJoy, SweetToothFriday4LittleFergusonsTheAnswerIsChocolateChefInTrainingBaconTime,   

6 comments:

  1. I just found your blog when I added a post to the cake thread on Gooseberry Patch. I love vintage cakes and the strawberry poke cake is always a hit. I will be following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move! I'm so excited for you that you have found your forever home. And I love the boxes. It'll make the movers think they shouldn't mess with you - since you're drunk and armed. :) Love the cake too, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy too! I'm glad I'm not the only one whose life gets in the way of blogging sometimes. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks awesome! We just had something similar to this at work the other week and wow!

    cheeseinmymacaroni.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Those are all the same kind of boxes we had when we moved - a lot more Jack Daniel's and Bacardi boxes, but all the same Target diaper boxes. Haha. Found your blog through Crazy for Crust's link party. I love this recipe and the Mint Brownie is a must make. I'm just newest follower and very happy to have discovered your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to try this this weekend and let you know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit Stella B's Kitchen and for sharing your thoughts and recipe results here in the comment section! I look forward to reading them!! I would love to respond personally to every one, but as a busy mom, I generally respond here on the blog rather than email. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...